The University of the West of Scotland (UWS) will focus on five themes within student transitions: FE/HE articulation; transition between levels and progression to honours/PG study; transitions into and back from work based placement; international student transitions and student mobility transitions.
The University is planning to complete a mapping exercise and use the information generated from this to provide an internal picture and help inform the Enhancement Themes national mapping exercise. The University will be looking to share practice across and beyond the Institution through a conference and dissemination event.
The institutional lead is Marcella Kean.
- Student-led outreach and ambassadorial activities which also incorporate peer-assisted and experiential learning recognised in Higher Education Achievement Records (HEAR)
- Assessment feedback enhancement, incorporating student input
- Roll-out of database detailing Student Transition engagements and contacts
- Academic Literacies and Digital Enhancement (ALDE) project to support the development of academic skills from L7- L12
- Habitus project which seeks to engender a greater sense of belonging amongst University of the West of Scotland students
- Student Life Project – ‘Why do students leave UWS?’ Developing the use of exit interviews.
Student Commentary on case studies developed during the Theme
The University of the West of Scotland has provided student commentaries to one case study submitted during the second year of the Student Transitions Enhancement Theme.
Student Transitions: Multimedia Resources
The University has produced a short video featuring the Square One Moodle course, and is designed as a video walk through for pre-entry students.
Watch the video