3rd International Enhancement in Higher Education Conference
Inspiring excellence - transforming the student experience
Event date: 6-8 June 2017
Location: Radisson Blu Hotel, Glasgow, UK
About the event
The International Enhancement Conference is the UK's largest learning and teaching event and will explore a multifaceted approach to transforming the student experience. The three-day programme offers lots of opportunity to exchange views and share experience around six interrelated tracks:
- Using data to enhance the student experience
- National and institutional approaches to quality and evaluating impact
- Internationalising the student experience
- Accessing higher education
- Transitions through higher education
- Positive destinations for students including postgraduate study and employability
These tracks are intended to support our desire to engage with delegates from across the UK and around the globe. The conference will also provide an important opportunity to celebrate the outcomes of work the Scottish higher education sector has been actively progressing on the Student Transitions Enhancement Theme as part of our integrated Quality Enhancement Framework:
Our 2nd international conference, held in 2015, attracted 600 delegates from 14 countries. We look forward to welcoming you to Glasgow in 2017!
Programme and speakers
The Conference programme has been developed to provide opportunities for delegates to hear from international and UK-based keynote presenters during a variety of plenary sessions. The Conference’s programme of parallel sessions, will allow delegates to opportunity to hear about developments in policy and practice from UK and internationally based practitioners and researchers. These sessions will contain a number of student-led contributions and the opportunity for small groups interactions. We are delighted to announce that we have secured the following keynote speakers who will engage delegates in discussion on an exciting range of topics:
- Professor Peter Felten (Elon University, USA) will talk about what matters most in delivering an excellent student experience
- Professor Dragan Gasevic (University of Edinburgh, Scotland) will explore using data and learning analytics to enhance the student experience
- Professor Liz Thomas (Edge Hill University, UK and TEF Panel member) will deliver a session on a whole institution approach to improving student retention and success through excellent learning and teaching
- Professor Elspeth Jones (Leeds Metropolitan University, UK and International Education Consultant) will share the outcomes of her work on internationalising the student experience
- Professor Mushtak Al-Atabi, (Heriot-Watt University, Malaysia campus and formerly Taylor’s University, Malaysia) will discuss delivering a UK degree in an international setting.
We are delighted to be welcoming Shirley-Anne Somerville Scottish Minister for Higher Education, Further Education and Science to the Conference, she will address the Conference on the Scottish policy landscape and the Government’s priorities for higher education in Scotland. While Professor Sir Peter Scott, recently appointed as the Commissioner for Fair Access, will outline his ambitions and priorities for the role, while asking delegates to join him in considering the question , “Is widening access a zero sum game?”
Professor Sally Mapstone, Principal and Vice-Chancellor of the University of St Andrews; and Vonnie Sandlan, NUS Scotland President will lead a lively panel discussion which will consider excellence in Scottish student experience.
A full list of our speakers and other activities is available in the outline programme.
Who should attend
The Conference programme is designed to attract delegates from across the UK and internationally. We look forward to welcoming policy makers, learning & teaching practitioners as well as students and staff who work in the professional support services.
How to register
You can register to attend the Conference for all three days, or purchase a day ticket at the following rates for staff*:
- Tuesday 6 June 2017 only - £190
- Wednesday 7 June 2017 only - £190
- Thursday 8 June 2017 only- £190
- Tuesday 6, Wednesday 7 and Thursday 8 June (excluding dinner) - £495.
- We will also hold a Scottish themed evening on Tuesday 6 June and our Conference dinner on Wednesday 7 June (Please note there is a small additional cost of £25 and £40 respectively for those wishing to attend our evening events).
Further information on all our Conference rates can be found on the Conference website.
Register now for the UK's largest learning and teaching conference!
*Please note, rates are less for students and there are a limited number of free places for students at Scottish HEIs.
Waiting list for staff based at a Scottish HEI
Now that we are close to venue capacity, we have taken the decision to open a waiting list for staff based at a Scottish HEI. If you are a staff member from a Scottish HEI and would like to add your name to the waiting list, to receive a funded place, please email firstname.lastname@example.org stating which days you wish to attend. We will try to allocate you a place on your preferred days, but we can only do so if spaces become available.
If you are already registered for a funded place and are unable to attend on one or more of your allocated days, please amend or cancel your registration online. This will allow us reallocate those place to someone on the waiting list. As you will see from the Terms & Conditions, if we do not hear from you and you do not attend, you will be liable for the Conference fee.
Please note, that the only way to guarantee a place at the conference is to register for your chosen day(s) and pay the staff delegate rate.
Get involved as a contributor by submitting a poster proposal
QAA Scotland has re-opened the call for proposals for poster contributions for its International Enhancement Conference. Submissions should link to the six Conference tracks.
This opportunity might be of particular interest to students and Students’ Associations and participants from the whole of the UK and Internationally.
Please visit the call for poster proposal page for further information and guidance about submitting a proposal.
The call for poster proposals remains open until the 7 April 2017.
A range of sponsorship packages are available for this year's conference, please see our sponsorship booklet.
For the latest Conference news, visit the conference website or follow us on twitter @THEMEStweets and @QAAScotland using the hashtag #ETConf17, for details about the conference
Visit the conference website for details about the conference and find out about the latest developments